The café creating a better future for people with learning difficulties

 

Level’s Best Café in Colchester only employs people with learning difficulties. Based on Priory Street, this vegetarian café has all the right ethics, they offer adults with learning difficulties with work experience which is genuine and purposeful, and this should be celebrated by everyone. 


Level’s Best Café is part of a very important journey for one family who started the Dacon Trust in 1970. A family created each step of their Son’s future to make sure he had the same opportunity and appropriate care, it started with a nursery and so on until Level Best was created to aid through adolescent and beyond. 

Level’s Best has been in Colchester since 2006 and helps over people 70 a week. 

William Turnbull, 20, has been attending the café since 2016, where he started going during half term, where he recalls “making chilli jam and all things seasonal”. In 2018, William helped organised a 70’s night where he created the menu and decided on appropriate decorations.
 “Every day is different, but I arrive at 9:30am. On a Wednesday morning, I do artwork with Jane and In the afternoon I do cooking with Sarah - sometimes we bake cakes for the rowing club in Rowhedge. A wedding party got in contact with us and we made sandwiches for their reception. We do all sorts for local business’ such as sandwich runs. We are currently working on Mother’s Day by making: cards, hampers, cakes! We are always busy!
Since being here I have learnt how to: bake, furthered my IT skills, become much more confident with my people skills; I used to be nervous and I have matured since being at Best Levels.  At school, I learnt some skills and they helped me a lot but I still felt left out sometimes, since then I have come out of my shell and really developed into a young man like everyone else my age.”
When asked what it’s like working and being surrounded by people who are like himself, William responded with a big smile, “Everyone is developing their skills, and in life, people do that in their own way.”  William would like to work in a primary school, as he used to play schools (didn’t we all!)   with his whiteboard and he has had a lot of practice with register recall! 

Alison Ling is the manager at Level Best and has been since 2011 and I spoke to her about her work and experiences. “I started as a support worker and then found myself here! I wouldn’t want any other job, if I want a break from my admin work I just go and sit with the trainees and have a chat – its enough to brighten anyone’s day.”
 The café isn’t just a half-way house, it can become someone’s livelihood. 
“We ask people to stay for a minimum of 6 weeks, but they can stay for as long as they like!
We do two things, getting people ready for work but also life skills. Cooking will help in life and being on till can help with money management. Set goals for people, personal ones. Level best, it’s about doing your own personal level best.”

Some people find it tricky or avoid interacting with people who have learning difficulties and I asked Alison her opinion on this matter, “An interesting question. Lack of experience and confidence is often the foot of this. Meet anyone who is different, like someone who speaks a different language. It’s about adapting the way you communicate.”

Level Best does everything they can to help get their future secured and for most people that isn’t employment. “Most people don’t go into employment, many go into volunteer positions or college.” 



Level Best is a bustling café, which is rammed pack at lunchtimes.  It’s clear to see they have a lot of repeat customers, however its crucial that everyone knows about this honourable cause where you can see the positive impact right before your eyes.




drawing: William Turnbull



Comments

Popular Posts